SPOILERS2013 Scientific Committee > Roy BETTS (Campden)
Dr Roy Betts is Head of Microbiology at Campden BRI, and currently manages a large team of scientists and technicians. He is a recognised expert in food microbiology and related issues having developed the research area of rapid methods therefore giving Campden BRI an international reputation as a scientific centre of excellence within the microbiological field.
Roy regularly lectures on Microbiological risks to foods, microbiological test methods, pathogens and risk in food manufacture. He regularly visits and assesses both laboratories and production sites for good operating practices and is frequently involved in troubleshooting and microbiological root cause analysis.
Dr Roy Betts is a valued member of many committees including:
- British Standards Institute AW 9 Committee, Methods for the Microbiological of Foods and Animal Feeds
- Former Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Association of Analytical Chemists (AOAC) Research Institute
- Chairman of the MicroVal General Committee for European microbiological method validation.
- Expert reviewer for the AOAC RI for microbiological test methods
- Member of ISO TC34/SC9 WG3 – Validation of microbiological methods
- Member of International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) , "Risk Analysis in Food Microbiology Task Force"
- Member of the ILSI sub group on "Persistence and Survival of Pathogens in Dry Food Processing Environments
- Member of the FDF Food Hygiene Committee.
- Member of the UK Advisory Committee for the Microbiological Safety for Foods
With an International reputation as an expert in food microbiology he has received personal invitations to speak at international symposia in the US, Australia, New Zealand, India, Korea, China and throughout the EU and regularly prepares papers for leading publications. Roy has presented over 100 publications/papers on food microbiology in journals and at Symposia.
In his spare time Roy enjoys long distance trail and fell running.